Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Calling all Young Entrepreneurs

It has been 11 years since I developed my first curriculum for my business. The first one was a GED curriculum I wrote in 2001 and was implemented in 2007. After steping out and expanding to an office space and connecting with worksource, I really was encouraged that this was going to significantly impact Houston. However, the challenges were greater and more in debth than I anticipated. My soon-to-be adult students had self-esteem challenges, transportation challenges, and a lack of commitment to themselves. There was nothing I could say to encourage them to continue. I did however, have one student who quit and then came back over and over again. I was more inspired to continue the program because of her repeat appearances. My goal was to see my students graduate (pass the GED exam), just as I did in 2001. To this date, I have yet to see any of my students even take the test. Currently, we still have students who access our online curriculum.

The second curriculum I had the opportunity to write was an entrepreneurship curriculum during the time I was enrolled in a MBA program. I combined my network marketing education and experiences to the text book knowledge I was being exposed to. After realizing the needs of the market I was servicing, I tweeked my curriculum to that target market. The program was more successful than I expected, which later warrented me to offer a certificate for the course. God has blessed my hand, my heart, and my mind to be able to make adjustments according to my target market. After all, that's what teaching is all about. You can't teach a certain way all the time and expect a changing society to comprehend what's being taught.

Now, with the success of writing an entrepreneurship curriculum for children (BIZ-4-KIDZ) in 2009, we have more opportunities for growth and sharing this program with churches, organizations, and educational institutions. CALLING ALL YOUNG ENTREPRENEURS!!!!!! I have been asked to share this curriculum with churches here in Houston as well as one start-up church in Arkansas. While I am excited about the popularity of the concept, I am paying close attention to the needed changes in the curriculum according to the needs of the society and the needs of the community. In conjunction with the curriculum being implemented, we have initiated the promotion of BIZ-4-KIDZ Magazine. The anticipated date of the first issue will be March 3, 2012. If you are a young entrepreneur or know of one, we are opening the dialogue for writers to contribute to the magazine. If your ideas and articles are award winning, there may be an opportunity for a column. We are going all out on the opportunity to encourage more youth and young adults to make themselves known and to offer them the resource assistance to grow their businesses.

We are slated to collaborate with the National Urban League Young Professionals to kick of contributions and awareness of the magazine. I will also be airing the first radio show for Young Entrepreneurs on the  Amazing Women of Power (AWOP Talk Radio Network). Stay tuned for the anticipated date of airing. My journey has brought me to this point in my life where I have found my niche in teaching today's youth and young adults. While continuing my own education in completing my Doctorate (Ed D)in Educational Leadership/Education Technology, I will become more apt to increase the quality of my programs and offer them to a wider audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment